Thursday, September 04, 2008

Bad news, the moose

It rained again last night, pretty much all night. At least it had stopped raining by the time we got up and were ready to go.

We went to Green Gables, which is the state park where Anne’s house is located. It wasn’t what Bernie expected. In the book it is clear that Anne and her family lead a very simple life but this house seemed to have too many frills. But Bernie was glad she got to see it, it was worth the trip to Cavendish.

Then we drove to Kensington and stopped at the visitor center, where we found out that the Woodleigh Replicas place is closed because it is up for sale. We were disappointed but decided then to take care of something else and we asked about hair salons in the area. They sent us to Karen’s Barber Shop where Karen allowed us to use her sink and chair, so Bernie could wash Mar’s hair (Mar can’t wash her hair in the RV). Everyone there was so nice. Thank you Karen!

Then we drove to Cap-Egmont to see the bottle houses. These are buildings built out of bottles. They are beautiful and fascinating structures. There are also gorgeous gardens there and there is even a veggie garden. Rejeanie, the originator’s daughter who now takes care of the place, told us the veggie garden produces more than she can consume and said we could have anything out of the veggie garden that we wanted. She handed Bernie a bag and Bernie picked some great things for us. It was that time of day when the mosquitoes were out in full force so she didn’t get to stop to pick the sweet peas, but the rest looks great, really pretty vegetables.

Then we got back on the road and drove to Summerside. As we drove through town we saw a place called “Eva’s Restaurant and Lounge” and we had to stop in because Eva is the name of Mar’s daughter. Bernie had the fish and chips, she said it was the best fish she has ever had. Mar wanted breakfast for dinner (again) so she had an egg sandwich that was good too.

Then we decided it was time to say goodbye to Prince Edward Island. We headed towards the Confederation Bridge, which is a toll bridge, but you only pay when you leave the island. So getting here was free and to leave we had to pay $41.50. The bridge is beautiful at night and it was nice that we got to drive it both in the daytime and at night.

We were headed to Nova Scotia. After the bridge we were driving down a very dark and lonely, two lane road. After a while we saw a couple of cars parked on the opposite side of the road, and before we could wonder why they had stopped, before we could even blink, there in front of us, right in the middle of our lane, was this fallen, huge, dead moose. There was no time to do anything. We both screamed as we drove right over the moose and Bella flew in the air. There is no way to know how many tires actually left the ground, but for sure it was more than one. It felt like we were flying. Once we landed, there was nowhere to stop or any way to slow down because there were a couple of cars right behind us.

We have no words to describe how scared we were. We finally were able to stop at the visitor center when we reached Nova Scotia. Bernie took the flashlight and got out to check if there was any damage. The good news is that it seems nothing happened to Bella. The bad news is really bad news. Long story short, Bella is covered in blood and moose fur and flesh. The smell is absolutely horrible. We went straight to a car wash in Amherst and Bernie tried to get as much off the under carriage as she could. It took $16 in quarters and it still smells terrible. This was not a good night, this was a horrible, horrible experience.

Then we drove around Amherst trying to find where to use wi-fi but didn’t have any luck. We then asked a couple of police officers and they suggested the Irving, the truck stop near the visitor center where we had been. So we headed back to the Irving, tested their wi-fi, asked permission to park, and parked for the night. And as all truck stops are, this is one noisy place, but we really needed to stay put, to calm ourselves, we were still so upset about the moose. But we are grateful and feel blessed, this incident could have been such a terrible accident.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aug. 26 at 5:30 a.m.: Shawn McKenzie, 24, of Milan, collision with a moose in front of him in Pinkham's Grant. No injuries; vehicle towed.
Aug. 26 at 6:55 a.m.: Bridget Gagne, 25, of Berlin, collision with a moose that ran out in front of her, struck it. No injuries; vehicle towed.
Aug. 27 at 12:25 p.m.: Richard R. Devanney, 43, of Lawrence, Mass., crashed into a ditch on Route 16 in Errol after attempting to avoid a moose. No injuries reported.
Aug. 29 at 2 p.m.: Ronald Fredette, 53, of Berlin, struck a bear while driving east on Route 2 in Jefferson. No injuries; vehicle towed from scene.
Aug. 30 at 9:20 p.m.: Rachel Hechtman, 19, of West Hartford, Conn., struck a moose on Route 118 in Dorchester. No injuries reported.
Aug. 31 at 4:39 p.m.: Christian Gravel, 47, of Sherbrook, Quebec, struck a moose when it darted in front of his vehicle on Route 26 in Dixville. No injuries.